Jan 18, 2008

A Dream No Less!!

It was a completely different experience that I had yesterday when I went to watch the play "A Midsummer Night's Dream"by Tim Supple presented by The British Council at the Kala Mandir in Kolkata.

When I had told a few friends of mine in Bangalore,that I was going to watch this play, they had mixed reactions...warning me of boredom. But I was determined to go ahead with my plans.
The magic of it, the energy and the sheer canvas blew me away.
Firstly the play being multi-lingual,we took some time to adjust to their way of story telling, but in a few minutes one is totally glued to the performances with traditional Indian dances, Indian music and beats and even incorporating martial arts. Their agile and athlete bodies helped them perform superb acrobatics which leaves one wanting for more.
With a couple of international actors, the rest of the cast were Indians and Sri Lankans speaking Tamil, Marathi, Malayalam, Bengali, Sinhala,Hindi, English and a little bit of Sanskrit.
The live orchestra with three musicians added that perfect touch.

My personal favourite was Mr. Joy Fernandes playing the character Nick Bottom with his humour and Mr. Ajay Kumar playing Puck who was at his wicked best.

The creativity and the performances,the set, the music...just about everything makes this play very special. Its definitely enchanting whether one can understand or not, mainly the play being multi-lingual.
Cheers to Mr. Tim Supple for giving us such a colourful, interesting and beautiful play!!

No comments: