Sep 21, 2011

It was 11pm,my son was fast asleep.I was watching television,my husband was reading a book. He got up to use the bathroom. He went,opened the door and just stood there.He didn't say a thing.I looked up and asked him why he was just standing there.And after an excruciatingly long silence,he tells me he saw a snake on the geyser.And now it was gone.He went inside and checked everywhere and found no traces of it. He told me it must have gone out,just the way it made its way inside.I was stunned,speechless and went numb just knowing that there was a snake in my bathroom. How am I supposed to be even using it in the future,knowing it had free access and knew its way out.He went inside,used the bathroom,came out,locked the bathroom door from outside, and simply said,"Nothing to get worried about.Just get back to sleep. Its not there." He is used to to such things, but definitely not me.I was freaking out here,and was wondering how hes able to be so calm,even after sighting a creepy,crawly creature in our very bathroom. I'd lie if i said I had a good night's sleep.The next morning,my husband was the first one who entered the bathroom,scanned every bit of it and gave it the clearance required,so that i could use it.But every second I spent in the bathroom was terrifying,not knowing where the snake is going to come out from.That day,when the orderlies arrived,checked for the snake,didn't find any and went about cleaning the place,cementing every crevice,packing up the windows with newspapers wherever there was a gap and at the end of it,made it feel like it was secure.After a few visits to the bathroom,I just got used to it. Everything got back to normal.That night,around 9pm,my son had to brush his teeth,so I went along,switched on the light and opened the bathroom door. And there it was again,the snake,and this time all perched up near the window,crawling slowly in its own happy pace.I immediately shut the door and called my husband.I was stunned and shocked,on seeing it return.We decided we need help now,someone has to do something about it.Our help arrived..my husband's orderly came immediately after he got a call from us.We decided to take a stroll and get back after he had caught the snake,since I didn't want my son to see a snake in the bathroom and get paranoid.But I was wrong.Although we didn't speak much about this incident in front of him, my two and half year old understood quite clearly what was happening.After a good 15 minutes we got back home, only to find a brown snake,about 3feet long all curled inside a used plastic water bottle,very much alive. We still can't believe how he managed to catch the snake alive and all the more in disbelief to see it neatly inside a bottle.He wanted to catch it alive and let it out somewhere else,so that it can live in peace.My son was so excited on spotting a snake and the best part,all curled up inside a bottle.He spoke about it for days.Our residential quarters are usually situated away from the city, a midst a lot of greenery and thick foliage.We are almost prepared for such things, but when they enter your home is when the drama unfolds.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terrifying!

Sleepyface said...

OOoooh. Its my worst nightmare, I tell you. Its so handy that you have people who'd come on call. I can't wait to meet Vibhu talk about it :)

I had a similar experience (minus the 15 minute stroll and minus the orderlies). Replace the snake with rat. Drama at its best.

Preethi Simha said...

@shruti-it is terrifying when we think about it now, but at that time,all we wanted was that creepy thing out of our house.
@vishnu-we were lucky to get help,but i know how it difficult it can get when we have to deal with them ourselves.

srikanth said...

Uff....that was something. Reptiles can send a shiver down even the sturdiest spines

Ravishankar Hirisave said...

wow thats creepy!! glad it all worked out!